HOUSTON BALLET CENTER FOR DANCE
CAPITAL AND ENDOWMENT CAMPAIGN
Download Center for Dance brochure
Capital and Endowment Campaign
“Great Art challenges you. Houston has never shied away from challenges. That’s what makes Houston unique and why I am here. Houston loves adventure. Together we can have a lasting impact on the art form of dance."- Stanton Welch Artistic Director, Houston Ballet
Dance With Us!
We have a visionary leader in Artistic Director Stanton Welch, an exceptional troupe of professional dancers, a renowned dance academy, a magnificent performance venue at the Wortham Theater Center, and the strong support of the Houston community.
Houston Ballet is World Class
Since 1984, our home was a converted dress factory on West Gray that became crowded and in disrepair. It was an obstacle to our continued growth.
Capital and Endowment Campaign
The Dance With Us! Campaign is our opportunity to build on the Ballet's strengths and enable the company to reach new heights of artistry and international prominence.
Our goal is to raise $95 million for construction of the Center for Dance in downtown Houston and provide the funding to use this new home to advance our level of artistic excellence and make ballet more accessible to all Houstonians.
The Center for Dance
This highly visible downtown location will help increase awareness of Houston Ballet, awaken new interest in the ballet from a diverse audience, and provide greater accessibility for our patrons and students. The award-winning architectural firm Gensler has designed a magnificent, six-story, 115,000-square-foot building that doubles our current space and will include:
- 200-seat “Black Box” Dance Laboratory for the creation and development of new work, workshops open to the public, parent viewing, and outreach programs.
- Nine Studios for company rehearsals and Academy classes.
- Library and Video Viewing Room for the study and mounting of works.
- Wardrobe Center for creating and maintaining costumes
- Physical Therapy Room for the health and well-being of our dancers.
- In-House Lodging for students.
- Grand Lobby and Office Space with flexibility to grow staff and programs.
The Center for Dance is the largest facility dedicated exclusively to dance in the United States and a testament to the vitality of the arts in Houston.
Your contribution to the Dance With Us! Campaign will also help us fully utilize the new Center for Dance and build for the future of Houston Ballet.
Our company, which is already in the top tier of American ballet, has the potential to join the ranks of the world’s finest ballet companies, create a unique voice, and make a lasting impact on the art form of dance. Our new facility will set the stage. Now we need the resources to make it happen.
Houston Ballet’s Next Step
The artistic endowment developed by this campaign will enable Houston Ballet to achieve these objectives established by the trustees and Artistic Director Stanton Welch:
- Expand the repertory with both classics and new works.
- Increase our company size from 54 to 70 professional dancers.
- Broaden touring opportunities and artistic exchanges to enhance our artistic development and serve as cultural ambassadors for Houston
- Train more dancers by expanding the Ballet's Ben Stevenson Academy and increasing our outreach into area schools and throughout Texas.
Join us in Houston Ballet’s next step toward international renown as we strive for peak performance on every level – from mainstage to outreach – and rightfully proclaim our place in the history of dance.
For more information about supporting the Dance With Us! Campaign, please contact Angie Lane at 713-535-3276.
For media inquiries about the new Houston Ballet Center for Dance, please contact the Public Relations Department at email@example.com.
To donate to the Dance With Us! campaign please mail checks or call with a credit card:
ATTN: Angie Lane
Houston, TX 77002