Substitute Dorm Chaperone
Reports to: Administrator
Status: Temporary/ Non-Exempt*
*Requires significant weekday evening hours and spending nights away from home
During any extended absence of the full-time chaperone the substitute chaperone would temporarily assume the dormitory management responsibilities of the Center for Dance while maintaining the safety, health and care of students that reside in the dorms.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for overseeing students in the dorm. 16 - 18 students.
- Oversee all equipment, furniture, support services, cleaning, and mail for the dorm keeping Facilities Manager and Administrator apprised of any repairs and needed maintenance.
- Conduct inspections of bedrooms and common areas on a regular basis.
- Inquire on updates on all new/returning students, as well as short term residents (visiting students) in the dorm
- Oversee a check-in / check-out procedure for students if applicable
- Coordinate student arrival and departure time with Academy staff - transport students to and from the airport when necessary if applicable
- Meet parents as they arrive with dorm students if applicable
- Review medical and doctor appointment procedures and alert Academy staff of any relevant information
- Be available to transport students to emergency room / doctor's office while advising Academy staff immediately
- Convey specific expectations that include trust, cooperation, fairness, etc
- Oversee chores within the dorm and communicate concerns and issues with Administrator
- Meet with Administrator to discuss dorm related business
- Keep strong rapport among students
- Be available to take dorm students on grocery store runs (multiple runs due to number of students and room in company van.
- Other job duties as assigned
Required minimum Qualifications*
- o Strong understanding and desire to work with adolescent children.
- o Strong communication and organizational skills
- o Ability to drive safely a seven (7) passenger mini-van
- o Valid Driver license and proof of vehicle liability insurance coverage
- o Ability to provide supervision in a responsible, caring and respectful manner and serve as a role model
- o Preferred education or certification working with adolescent children.
- o Available to work these hours and spend night in the 6th floor dormitory in The Center for Dance:
Monday thru Friday, 6PM until 7AM, and 24 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday.
Please note, days and times may vary based on need of the Center for Dance dormitory and flexibility with schedule is appreciated.
*Due to the responsibilities of this position in working with minor children, any offer of employment with Houston Ballet will be contingent on a satisfactory criminal background check and satisfactory driving record for the past three years.
**Please send resume, cover letter, and three (3) references to:
Human Resources Manager
No phone inquiries, please.
**Due to the large number of resumes we receive, we will be unable to acknowledge receipt of your resume.
Houston Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.