ACADEMY SPECIAL PROJECTS INTERN
Academy Special Projects Intern – through ExxonMobil Community Summer Jobs Program
8-week internship, June 9 – August 8, 2014, with a minimum of 35 hours per week
The internship will allow a college student to experience the full spectrum of planning and executing an intensive, 6-week summer program and performance, from preparation to completion.
This internship will provide valuable experience to any student that wishes to explore a career in arts administration. Houston Ballet Academy executes many of the same functions as a professional dance company, and offers the intern of the ability to interface with various departments and personnel relating to ballet administration, marketing, public relations, development, education outreach, and project management. Houston Ballet Academy is fortunate to have the resources of the Houston Ballet Foundation, allowing interns the rare opportunity to work with world- class professionals.
Internship duties include (but are not limited to):
- Program Coordination of Career Studies
- Implementation and execution of a "career studies" curriculum for upper-level students:
- This class allows Houston Ballet students to explore dance-related careers outside of performing, such as wardrobe and production. Students will present projects at the end of the summer program to be presented to parents, guests, and Houston Ballet staff at the summer intensive performances.
- Coordinate a teacher in each of the designated areas, and work with instructors to develop a curriculum and schedule classes.
- Create a schedule of classes and monitor the schedule daily, monitor and track attendance at each class, as well as monitor the completion of projects.
- Facilitate the final projects and create a presentation that the students will give during the end-of-summer performances. The intern will plan and host and showcase the accomplishments of the students.
- Assess and disseminate student surveys to evaluate programming.
- The intern will manage and oversee a student film making project which will be integrated into the career studies program
- Social Media Coordination
- The intern will lead the effort in posting stories on the Houston Ballet blog, posting on Twitter, and coordinating live stream observation classes.
- Interview students and teachers for postings.
- Author posts, blurbs, interviews, and compile photos for the Houston Ballet Facebook page.
- Interface with marketing/web team regarding performances and parent/student bulletins.
- Education Outreach Assistance
- Assist with the execution and delivery of Education Outreach summer community programming
- The intern will participate in coordinating in-house programming at the Houston Ballet Center for Dance for Education and Outreach
- Participate in program development
- Schedule and coordinate programs with artistic staff
- Assist with set-up and break-down
- Create and design a photo book and end of performance playbill
- Compile photos and information on each summer student
- Print and disseminate to artistic staff
- Design the program using InDesign or Publisher.
- Collect information for programs and ensure that casting is accurate.
- Research content for the performance playbill, including music and photo credits, teacher credits, staff credits, and program notes.
- Publish programs.
- Panel Discussion
- The intern will coordinate all aspects of a Panel Discussion with the Director of the Academy and summer artists.
- Plan and schedule venue for the discussion.
- Coordinate script and schedule.
- Contact artists.
- Coordinate production aspects of the discussion.
- Set-up and break-down as necessary.
- Participate in data analysis for the academy summer program
- Academy summer program:
- Create and disseminate results of the end of summer survey to students
- Education Outreach
- Assist in data analysis projects
- Collect and disseminate date on students and schools involved with Education Outreach
- The intern will assist with general administrative duties
- Participate in staff meetings throughout the summer
- Assist with filing
- Answer the phone
- Respond to student and parent inquiries
- Assist with the student lunch program
- High school graduate
- Currently enrolled, full-time, in an undergraduate program
- Returning to undergraduate program in the fall of 2014 as a full-time sophomore, junior or senior
- Not related to any employee or permanent contractor of ExxonMobil
- Not related to any employee or board member of Houston Ballet Foundation
- Available for the full 8 week period between June 9, 2014 & August 8, 2014
Other duties as assigned.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Houston Ballet Human Resources
601 Preston Street
Houston, TX 77002
No phone inquiries please.
Houston Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.